When I make my weekly grocery list, I love to buy what is currently in season. The food is super fresh which tastes much better, plus since it doesn't have to travel far it is usually cheaper.
Depending on your location, you may have slightly different items available. Here is a list of some items that are in season right now in Ohio.
- garlic scapes
- lettuces- spring mix, spinach, bibb
- berries- blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries
- peas- sugar snap, snow
- swiss chard
- zucchini and yellow squash
- stone fruits- peaches, nectarines, plums
- herbs- basil, parsley, oregano, tarragon, chives, thyme
- peppers- bell, hot (habanero, jalapeno, wax, poblanos)
Each of these leave a variety of possibilities to create wonderfully seasonal recipes. Enjoy what's in season and experiment with all the possibilities.